Sunday, February 22, 2015

Being a Missionary is SO COOL.

I'm not sure if there are words in the English vocabulary that are adequate enough to even begin explaining what has happened this week. In fact, I'd even be bold enough to say that I doubt there are words in any language that could do the trick.

As a mission, we've really been focusing on increasing our number of teaching opportunities each week. Our mission goal for a given week is to get at least ten different opportunities to teach-- whether they are lessons with investigators or practice lessons with members. This week we were blessed with the numerous opportunities to teach. The actual number of lessons is not important, but what really stood out to me was merely the fact that by teaching more, we saw a significant difference in the way that our lessons went as a whole. 

I can't tell you how many times I ended up with tears poking at my eyes and threatening to slip down my cheeks this week. I guess that by really striving to reach the goal we set for the number of lessons we wanted to teach this week, we were showing Heavenly Father how much we trusted Him. We began the week by prayerfully setting goals with Him and by merely putting forth our best effort to accomplish those goals, we were able to invite the spirit into our lessons in a way I've never really experienced before. I can honestly say that on several different occasions I heard a voice in my head telling me exactly what I needed to say. There was one experience, in particular, where one of our sweet ward members met us at the church so we could teach her a practice lesson. We'd taught two back-to-back lessons that day already so we handed her the three lesson pamphlets and asked her to pick what she wanted us to teach. After careful consideration she turned to the page in the third lesson's pamphlet that had the title, "Sacrament Meeting." 

When we teach lessons to people I think it's really important to meet each individual's needs. We don't just teach the same lesson to every person we meet. We make lesson plans, but more often than not we end up straying from those plans when the spirit directs us to do so.

It was really interesting because we hadn't exactly prepared to teach for that specific principle and so neither of us was really sure what we were going to say... or what we should say... but my companion just looked at me and said, "You lead." I had no idea how I was going to lead into the lesson, but as we offered the opening prayer, I just got the feeling that it was going to be okay. 

The lesson ended up being the best lesson we'd taught all day. We shared personal experiences and a couple of scriptures, and right at the end of the lesson, I was overcome with this feeling of love for this woman and all that she is doing to help build up God's kingdom here in Korea. And as suddenly as that feeling came, the thought, "Tell her that her Heavenly Father loves her and that He is so proud of her." Also came to my head. I couldn't ignore it and I couldn't hold back the tears as the words left my mouth. None of us could.

It's so cool to get to be a missionary and to see how the gospel has blessed the lives of others. It's also just really cool to get to be doing the Lord's work. He's sharing the fruits of HIS labors with us as missionaries by giving us opportunities to teach, learn, grow, and witness the miracles that He brings to pass. I love this work. 

One of the lessons we prepared for an investigator this week was focused on scripture study and prayer. It's funny because these two things are so frequently mentioned and yet I feel as if we could never be reminded enough of their importance. I always refer to prayer and scripture study as our way of communicating with our Heavenly Father. In every person's life there is a plethora of relationships-- friends, family, coworkers, neighbors-- you name it. I personally think that the most important aspect of any relationship is communication. If you're not communicating with someone, your relationship fades. I've had way too many friendships in my life kind of just slip away just because we lost contact. And the relationship in my life that are still prominent are prominent because we've stayed in close contact.

I think that our relationship with Heavenly Father, in this sense, is no different than any other relationship in our life. If we want to strengthen our relationship with Him, we've got to communicate with Him. If we want to keep our relationship with Him from fading, we've got to communicate with Him. He doesn't command us to "Pray Always" and to "Study the Scriptures" just to give us more stuff to do, He gives us those commandments as tools that we can use to enrich every aspect of our lives. Because He loves us, He gives us a way to always keep in touch with Him. 

So I am grateful for the opportunity that our Heavenly Father gives me every single day to communicate with Him. And I'm grateful that He takes the time for me. Even though He's got a million other people to worry about, He worries about me. 

My thoughts are all over the place, but like always, I'm a happy missionary. There is nothing else in the world I'd rather be doing right now. There's nowhere else I'd rather be. During those months at home I prayed for the ability to not only be a missionary again, but for the opportunity to be a BUSY missionary. And goodness gracious, I got my answer. The Lord is blessing me in this work every single day and I don't think I am even capable of recognizing all the ways in which He is blessing me. 

I have a testimony of this gospel! I know that it is true. I know that it changes lives. And most of all, I know that it helps us to draw closer to our Savior, Jesus Christ, as we strive to abide by the things that it teaches us.

Sister Bagley is happy here in Korea. 
I'm sending lots of prayers your way. 

xoxo,

Sister Bagley






No comments:

Post a Comment