Sunday, April 13, 2014

Yet Another Week

Well. It's been another eventful week. It wasn't until I became a missionary that I realized that EVERY single passage of scripture can be applicable to missionary work. I was reading in the New Testament and came across a couple of scriptures in particular that I really liked. First, Acts 1:17-18. It talks about us; all of us. God has blessed us in so many ways. He "pours out" his spirit upon us on a daily basis and through doing so, He asks us to go out and share the blessings and knowledge He has given to us with others. Because He blesses us, He asks us to act. Which makes me think about Nephi and the promise that the Lord gave him-- when the Lord commands us to do something He will provide a way for us to accomplish it, no matter how difficult the task at hand may seem. Sometimes we let our fear get in the way of our faith. It's hard to be a missionary! And as missionaries, there are a lot of really difficult things that we have to do. 

And that's where the next scripture comes in: John 20:21. "Then said Jesus unto them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you." Jesus Christ is our very best friend. He knows us better than we know ourselves because He sees us as we can be rather than as we are. Because of this, He knows what we are capable of doing as long as we allow ourselves to trust Him. He hasn't asked us to do this alone, but He has asked us to stretch ourselves beyond our own limits enough to grow and improve. None of us are truly capable of the calling we've been given if we are relying solely upon ourselves. This is the Lord's work, and in order to do it, we must rely on Him. Jesus Christ knew what He was called to do and He did all that He did because He loves us. Likewise, because we love Him, we need to be willing to do all that He has asked us to do. 

Anyways, we've started teaching another new investigator. She's an asian grandma and she's quite the sweetie. Korean grandmas have the tendency to ramble on and on about a lot of random things and never expect an answer in response. Yesterday we got to hear all about Kenya, Thomas Edison, and grandpas (more specifically, her husband.) At various points throughout the conversation she's throw in, "Oh! You're so pretty!!" and then just keep talking. Once we got her on the topic of the gospel, however, things actually went pretty well! 

We were headed back to our apartment one day this week for lunch and a woman who was selling a bunch of clothes on the street stopped us and gave us a couple of free skirts for the "good work" we're doing. That was pretty exciting. The skirts are grandma skirts... and mine is bedazzled. But we were still pretty pumped about it! 

MLC was this week and since Sister Sloan is the Sister's Training Leader in Incheon we got to go and spend the night at the Mission Home.... which meant we got to sleep on BEDS! Whattt!? I forgot those things even existed. Long story short-- I had a hard time falling asleep because I'm too used to sleeping on cardboard (.... that's what Sister Sloan and I call our beds at our apartment. They're mats we throw on the floor. Super comfy.) Also-- pardon my sarcasm. Koreans don't get it. And it's the only language I'm currently fluent in.

I've been missing you people a whole bunch this week, I'm not going to lie. Being away from my loved ones is the strangest thing. I miss you every single day... but at the same time I'm in love with the people of Korea so I never want to say goodbye to them. I guess you could say I feel really conflicted and whatnot... but it's fine. Just know that I love you and that you're always in my heart! Sounds cheesy, but tis' the truth.

We haven't had the opportunity to watch Conference yet because in Korea we watch Conference a week after it's broadcasted so that they can get it all translated. (Don't worry, I'll get to watch it in English... just in a room separate from the rest of the ward.) I honestly CAN'T even wait to watch it. ENGLISH! But also, more specifically, CHURCH stuff in ENGLISH! I'm beyond excited to just sit back and let it all soak in. 

Anyways, that's really all I have to say this week. We're working hard and smiling every step of the way. The weather is getting warmer and the flowers are getting prettier. And I'm just really excited that I get to start shedding layers. Life is good, I love you all!

xoxo,
Sister CaLea Bagley

No comments:

Post a Comment